If you’re a business owner, the odds are that you’re not the biggest fan of social media. When you’re trying to handle operations, wrangle employees and keep profits coming in, social media is going to feel like nothing but a big distraction. A very common sentiment from business owners in our intro meetings is, “I hate social media.” That’s a totally valid and understandable opinion and the good news is that when you work with a digital advertising agency, we take care of the social media dirty work. However, at Rock Candy Media, we always want our clients to understand the value of social media marketing and what it can do for your brand.
In order to spread the message of the benefits of social media marketing to the masses, our brilliant digital ad strategist, Jessica Stockton, has put together a list of all the essential reasons you need social media marketing.
The Importance of Social Media Marketing
Social media is a key factor in the digital marketing landscape. Connecting with possible employees and clientele on a friendly platform can greatly benefit acquisitions.
People, both potential consumers and potential future employees, often turn to social media to research a company, which is actually great news for you, because social media is one of the easiest and least expensive ways to really define your brand. Rather than dropping thousands of dollars on traditional media spends, you can reach more people, with much more engaging content for a fraction of the cost on social media.
What’s more, social media is a machine that gets cheaper the more you use it. The way social media marketing works is:
- Your advertising agency creates a sweet piece of content that gets people intrigued about your brand.
- Your social media marketer puts a modest spend behind the content to get in front of more eyeballs.
- Paid users want to see more, so they follow or like your page.
- Now, these users see your content organically without you having to spend anything.
- The larger your social media presence and audience, the less we have to spend on ads.
Precise Audience Targeting
Advertising on these platforms allow for targeting and retargeting people that have visited, or are more than likely to visit your website and convert.
You can target people based on locations and interests that are relevant to your brand. Each target teaches us something new and allows us to further narrow our targeting and messaging for better conversions and better costs. These audiences can get incredibly granular, if you want to target moms who love Property Brothers, wine and professional soccer who live in a certain zip code, you can totally do that. This level of segmentation is an incredible asset for driving sales.
Additionally, social media marketing can identify audiences that you didn’t know you have. Social media platforms have a host of tools that allow you to track exactly who is engaging with your ads. From there, a digital media agency can create lookalike audiences from that data – targeting users who fit the demographics of those that already like what you have to say.
A Smarter Ad Spend
Advertising online is considerably cheaper than advertising on other, more traditional forms, such as radio, TV and flyers. If something is or isn’t working, we can change budgets instantly. Social media advertising is instant and we can measure results both in the moment and over time.
Additionally, social media marketing allows you to directly track conversions. You don’t have to do the legwork of asking consumers how they found you, it’s all tracked digitally for immediate results.
Improved Web Traffic
Creating a brand presence on different platforms will drive users that are in your target audience to your website. This has several benefits:
- Increased web traffic. This one is kind of a “no duh,” but social media can drive thousands of additional visitors to your site that you would never have received otherwise.
- Building marketing lists. By incorporating social media marketing with search engine marketing, a digital marketing agency can continue to remarket to users on search engines and popular websites after they have already been ensnared by your social media ads.
- Search engine domination. The most popular search engines incorporate social media profiles into their algorithms. This means that if you have a strong social media presence, not only your website, but also your social profiles will appear in search results. This pushes your competitor sites down and floods the page with your name.
Building Brand Awareness and Partnerships
If your brand is stale or lacking in some way, social media is a quick way to rebrand and change the narrative. Sharing not only promotional material, but also “feel good” content like participation in your community, philanthropic efforts and highlighting the people behind your brand makes you approachable and trustworthy.
Customers are able to interact with you directly and social media shows off your brand’s personality and makes customers feel valued.
Interacting with other brands on social media can also increase your own cache and build a network of likeminded, symbiotic brands.
Crush the Competition
Unless you’re in a very narrow set of industries (lifestyle brands, publishing, etc.) you’re not going to have much competition on social media. This can be a huge boost for marketing in fields like healthcare, software, nonprofits and other industries where people feel like they need a lot of support and communication.
Having a developed social media brand elevates you as more of a well-rounded company that’s capable of connecting with your customers and employees. With little competition, you can dominate the social media platform and you can set the tone.
Curious as to how social media marketing can build your business? Request a positioning analysis from Rock Candy Media and we’ll provide you with a comprehensive analysis of your social media strengths and weaknesses – along with a whole lot of other good stuff.